(As amended and adopted February 24, 2012)
Empowered by the action of the Chancellor of The Texas A&M University System (A&M System), the Chancellor’s Century Council (originally “The Chancellor’s Century Council of Advisors”) and hereafter referred to as “Council”, (Council) was formed on the 25th day of June 1987, in Austin, Texas, and on the 24th day of September 1988, and on the 10th day of November 1990, and on the 1st day of April 1995, and on the 18th day of April 1998, and on the 4th day of March 2005, and on the 24th day of February 2012, did adopt the following by-laws.
Article I – Objectives
- The purpose of the Chancellor’s Century Council is to advise the Chancellor of The Texas A&M University System on issues of concern and interest to the A&M System, and assist the Chancellor in advancing the goals and objectives of The Texas A&M University System.
- The Council shall enhance cooperation and understanding between the A&M System and the private sector and shall endeavor to enhance the reputation of the A&M System throughout the world.
Article II – Membership
The Council membership shall consist of members, honorary members, and ex-officio members. Each type of membership can be jointly held with spouses.
- The Chancellor will invite prospective members to join the Council.
- Prospective members may be recommended by any member of the Council for consideration.
- Member contributions may be no less than $1,000 per annum.
- The term of membership shall be at least one year, and may continue annually thereafter at the option of each member.
- Ex-officio Ex-officio membership shall be accorded to the Board of Regents of The Texas A&M University System as it may be constituted from time to time. Former members of the Board of Regents shall be automatically eligible for membership by virtue of their past service to the A&M System.
- Distinguished alumnus of the academic institutions within the A&M System automatically become eligible for honorary membership upon recognition of such distinction.
- Retired Presidents and Chancellors of academic institutions of the A&M System, and other distinguished citizens of Texas may be eligible for honorary membership.
Article III – Voting
- Each membership is entitled to one vote.
- Ex-officio members may not vote.
- Voting may be conducted by voice vote or by ballot, and members must be present at the designated meeting of the Council in order to cast their vote.
Article IV – Officers
- The officers of the Chancellor’s Century Council shall be a General Chair, General Chair-Elect, Past General Chair and Region I Vice Chair, Region II Vice Chair, Region III Vice Chair, Region IV Vice Chair, Region V Vice Chair and four Vice Chairs At Large to be elected from the membership.
- The officers shall be elected according to the procedures provided for in the By-laws of the Council.
- Each officer shall serve for a term of two (2) years or until a successor is appointed or elected. However, the initial term (2005-2006) of the Region 1 Vice Chair, Region II Vice Chair, Region III Vice Chair and Region IV Vice Chair shall be for one year. The terms of office shall be staggered so that the terms of the Chair, Chair Elect, Region I Vice Chair, Region II Vice Chair, Region III Vice Chair, Region IV Vice Chair and Region V Vice Chair will end in even numbered years and the terms of the At Large Vice Chairs will end in odd numbered years.
- All officers shall be eligible for re-election or reappointment except the General Chair. The General Chair cannot serve more than one, two-year term.
- All officers’ terms will be limited to a total of four (4) successive years except for those of the General Chair, General Chair-Elect and the Past General Chair. All former officers shall be eligible for re-election or appointment after being out of office for a period of four (4) years.
Article V – Organization
- The Executive Committee: There shall be an Executive Committee composed of the General Chair, General Chair Elect, Past General Chair, all Regional Vice Chairs, all At Large Vice Chairs, all standing and Special Committee Chairs, and the Chancellor. The terms for membership of the executive committee shall be continuous with the term of the elected or appointed office. The executive committee, between stated meetings of the Council, shall have all the powers of the Council unless otherwise ordered by the Council, and shall transact the business of the Council.
- The General Chair: Shall (1) preside at Council meetings and at Executive Committee meetings, (2) appoint the membership of all committees and (3) perform all duties ordinarily incident to the office and consistent with these By-Laws.
- The General Chair-Elect: Shall serve as a member of the Executive Committee and preside at meetings of the Council and at meetings of the Executive Committee in the absence or inability to act of the General Chair, and will succeed the General Chair.
- The Vice Chairs: The Council shall have nine Vice Chairs. There are five regional Vice Chairs that represent the geographical regions of the state of Texas and four Vice Chairs At-Large. The five regional Vice Chairs are reflected on the map attached. There shall be one regional Vice Chair position in each region.
Article VI – Committees
The General Chair shall appoint all committee members, and the Chancellor shall be an ex-officio member of all committees. In the absence of a standing committee, all responsibilities shall be assumed by the Executive Committee.
- State and Federal Affairs Committee: Shall work with the Chancellor and designated members of the administration on both state and federal issues on behalf of the A&M System.
- Nominating Committee: Shall develop a slate of nominees (at least one for each position) for the various offices of the Council; and shall certify and provide a written ballot to the membership for an election of officers to be held during the annual meeting of the Council each year. Nominations may be accepted from the floor.
- Finance and Operations Committee: Shall (1) approve the annual budget (2) provide oversight for fiscal operation of the Council and (3) ensure the Council financials are audited in odd numbered years.
- Campus Partners Committee: Shall provide leadership and direction of member affiliation and advisory roles to each of the academic institutions within the A&M System.
- Special Committees: The General Chair may appoint other special non-standing committees.
Article VII – Nomination of Officers
The nominating committee is charged with developing a full slate of officers for each position. Officer elections will be conducted at the annual meeting of the Council and voted on in accordance with the By-Laws.
Article VIII – Meetings
- The Council will meet not less than annually. The annual plan of work will be adopted at the annual meeting; there may be separate regional meetings conducted throughout the year.
- The officers will review Council activities as required, and report at least annually to the membership.
- The standing committees will meet as required; each committee should develop a proposed annual plan of work each spring.
Article IX – Amendments
On resolution of the Council, the Executive Committee, or on written proposal signed by at least five (5) members, these By-Laws may be amended at the annual meeting of the membership by a majority of the members present, provided thirty (30) days notice of the substance of the amendment(s) be sent to all members.